** Page Tabs **

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I've Got a Fever and the Only Prescription Is...

Well, I officially got homesick. I should have had my emotional breakdown around Labor Day, but my cousin, Lynn, and her family took me to Maine for their mini-vacation. Too busy and surrounded by extended family, I finally started showing symptoms last week. Long story short, I broke down in tears in the Back Bay Fens while walking Mr. Big yesterday morning.

According to a poll of close friends, I am right on schedule. They all got homesick around 4 to 6 weeks after moving.

I had a tear-induced headache and nausea for the rest of the day; I promptly passed out after Property class and slept for three hours. I felt a bit better after my nap, but didn't really cheer up until I washed dishes. Why dishes? Firstly, I think cleaning is therapeutic in and of itself. Secondly, I have been known to seriously jam out while cleaning.
I sing into my hairbrush. I dance in front of my dog. Sometimes I even play air-drums. It's embarrassing. :)

Here's Dr. Tallant's prescription playlist for a really crappy day:

  • "I Need A Doctor" - Dr. Dre and Eminem  You can't argue with a doctor!
  • "Dirt Off Ya Shoulder" - Jay-Z
  • "Last of the American Girls/ She's a Rebel" - Broadway cast of American Idiot Because nothing says "angry punk in suburbia"  like Broadway show-tunes
  • "Coming Home" - Diddy
  • "So Says I" - The Shins
  • "15 Minutes" - The Yeah You's aka The best song from Easy A
  • "Overdrive" - Katy Rose aka The best song from Mean Girl
  • "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" - The Slits I love when bands cover songs that are completely outside of their genre.
  • "Mr. Brightside" - The Killers
  • "Pretty Girl Rock" - Keri Hilson
  • "Since You Been Gone/ Maps" - Ted Leo While it may be hard to find since it's a live recording of an acoustic show, it's so worth the effort to hear a guy sing a high-pitched Kelly Clarkson song

The first part of the playlist should get you get through the anger and frustration known as law school...I mean, life. Then you can sing into your hairbrush and dance around your bedroom in your sweatpants. You'll be smiling despite yourself at the end of the playlist. Drink coffee, shuffle playlist, and repeat.

P.S. Can I just say that I miss the golden days of SNL? If you're still depressed after this playlist, just YouTube any of The Lonely Island music videos. Preferably on a boat....
P.P.S. I miss eating Ben and Jerry's ice cream with Mel and Rusty at the pharmacy. Wonder what Mel would say about the SNL themed ice cream flavor, Schweddy Balls?

No comments:

Post a Comment