One of my greatest talents, aside from making pancakes and organizing movie themed nights, is making mixed tapes. I have it on the highest authority that I make the best mixed tapes in the world. Now, I respectfully disagree with these esteemed critics; they are my friends and have been known to lie to me instead of crushing hopes and dreams on the jagged rocks of reality. Like when Mom told me I was a wonderful ballerina...and I believed her. Yeah...not bitter. At all.
I enjoy making mix-tapes for my friends and take it very seriously. I normally have a theme, be it lyrically or emotionally. I pay attention to BPM (beats per minutes) and make sure there's a transition between songs. I try to introduce the recipient to new artists and styles.
|You haven't heard of them? Let me make you a mix-tape|
of their acoustic shows and obscure B-side hits.
So here's my Songs About Chicks playlist. The main criteria is for A) the song to be about a female and B) her name must be in the title.
- "Hey Julie" by Fountains of Waynes ~ A white-collar, office cubical love song for Julie.
- "Dakota" by A Rocket to the Moon ~ Dakota has this boy whipped and wrapped around her finger, and he has no clue why.
- "Eleanor Rigby" by Aretha Franklin ~ Aretha gave this prim and proper Englishwoman a much needed dose of soul.
- "Beth" by Mark Sallings ~ Beth's rock'n'roll boyfriend isn't even considerate enough to call when he's running late. [Yes, this is a Glee cover of a KISS song. Bite me. I still have good taste.]
- "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson ~ Billie Jean is just looking for her baby's daddy.
- "Me and Mrs. Jones" by Michael Buble ~ Mrs. Jones has thing going on...behind her husband's back.
- "Annie" by James Blunt ~ I imagine Annie moonlights as a waitress in L.A. while waiting for her big break.
- "If You See Kay" by The Script ~ Kay's boyfriend writes a song for his missing girlfriend instead of putting her picture on milk cartons.
- "Brandy" by Looking Glass ~ A bartender pines for a sailor who loves the sea more.
- "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart ~ The upbeat tempo hides the fact that Maggie May is cougar who (possibly) kidnapped her lover. Very Humbert Humbert, if you ask me.
- "Ruby Tuesday" by The Rolling Stones ~ I aspire to be as enigmatic as Ruby.
- "Walk Away Renee" by Vonda Shepard ~ Renee is the ultimate subject of unrequited love. Check out the true story behind the lyrics here.
- "El Tango de Roxanne" by Ewan McGregor and Jose Feliciano ~ A song about a man in love with a hooker within another song about a man in love with a hooker within a movie about a man in love with a hooker. [Note: If you don't cry during Moulin Rouge when Christian is belting his heart out during this song, then you have no soul.]